Sunday 4 January 2015

KIT LIST



'Freyja' all loaded up and ready to go.



Below is my entire kit list.

When I first ever started travelling I found that I had a lot of stuff I just didn't end up using. So I've slowly lightened up, but looking through this list you can go easily reduce this further.

Please use this as a guide only as the main thing I suggest you do is to simply grab what you think at in that moment is right for your own kit list and just get out there and try it. A kit list is very personal to who you are, and as everyone is different so everyone's own kit list is equally as diverse. If something doesn't work for you, try something else. If you've found you hardly use something, ask yourself, 'do I really need it? If you can live and have lived without it, ditch it. As another suggestion, always look at something that combines functions. Can you use it for more than one purpose? If you can your saving space. There is a main psychological trap to also watch out for, if you have a large amount of space to fill in a travel bag or box, you want to fill it and again you end up taking more than you need to be mindful of this also.
Overboard Adventure Duffel Bag, 90 Litres

Lomo Dry Bag Holdall 60L

I usually find that the Overboard bag can see me fine for a carrying everything I need for a two week trip or longer. For this trip I chose to take an extra bag with me to carry some extra clothes, that I ended up not using.

See below for details
As stowed in the bag

SLEEPING SYSTEM

A - Vango Banshee 300 - Three man tent, however in practice, it's a two man tent, therefore enough room for myself and my bags with a small outside porch for my boot.

B - LED tent light (I keep this hooked to the inside of inner tent permanently, so I always have light.

C - Peg bag which includes: (Aluminium pegs. But the bare minimum number to keep the tent up, I don't usually bother using the guy lines.) (4 No. of aluminium sand pegs which I can use for the guy lines if needed) and (6 No. plastic domed pegs to hold down (E) the extra ground sheet).

D - Pole bag with the tents aluminium poles.

E - Extra groundsheet. This I made from cutting out the shape of my Vango tent, from a discarded tents groundsheet, then placing eyelets in the corners, to peg it down.

F - Thermorest Neo-Air. This is a fantastic air mattress, it bounces the heat from your body back at you providing excellent insulation from the ground.

G - Typical sleeping bag. I will in the future either buy a smaller one or keep this one to use in a bivvy bag system.

H - Beanie hat. Always kept in with the sleeping bag.

I - Gloves. Always kept in with the sleeping bag.

J - Head torch - I usually hang this up in the tent, so I know where it is in the dark.




TOOL BAG

A - Puncture repair kit for tubeless tyres.

B - Bike manual.

C - First aid kit.

D - Small tool Bag (See below)

E - Opinel Knife. Always sharp.

F - Beer or wine opener, always an essential!

G - Mountain bike pump with pressure gauge, yes this will inflate motorcycle tyres.

H - Spare tie down strap.

I - Spare gas can for stove.

J - Single to multiple lighter socket for my camera, phone etc. With USB extension cable.

K - Spare brake lever(s). I found that the only damage my bike tends to sustain in broken levers.

L - Electrical tape - multi-purpose.

M - Pipe to syphon petrol/gas.

N - Light canvas tool bag.



SMALL TOOL ROLL (D)
  1. Thermorest air mattress puncture repair kit.
  2. Lighter.
  3. LED torch with spare batteries.
  4. Cloth / Rag.
  5. Waterproof notepad and pencil.
  6. Old camera roll plastic film case. These are very useful watertight containers and can be used to contain your salt and pepper or spices for your kitchen items or in this instance is contains spare fuses and small sockets for the multi-tool (11).
  7. Spare wire.
  8. Cable-ties. I also carry longer 'black' ones, tied to the bike front fork leg, for quickness.
  9. Folding spare knife with serrated edge.
  10. Stainless steel wire brush for spark plugs or electrical connections, also include emery paper.
  11. Multi-tool with socket and screwdriver set.
  12. Light, zippable tool bag.



FIRST AID KIT (C)

Rule is carry the basics, because if you need any more than this you'll need a hospital.

I'm a trained first-aider and in this kit I'm carrying more than you should need but its whatever makes you feel safe.
  1. First Aid book (Small).
  2. Sterile gloves, 2 sets (see 16).
  3. Resuscitation face shield, I also carry one non the outer pocket on my overboard bag.
  4. Small plasters, assorted.
  5. Hand warmer, 1 off.
  6. Foil survival blanket, 1 off.
  7. Low adherent dressing, 2 off.
  8. Conforming bandage, 1 off.
  9. Large plasters, 2 off.
  10. Sterile wipes, 2 off.
  11. Anti-mosquito wipes, 2 off.
  12. Ibuprofen.
  13. Energy gel.
  14. Paracetamol.
  15. ChapStick
  16. Sterile gloves, second set.
  17. Medical tape.
  18. Small wind-up torch.
  19. Small pen-knife.
Tool bag when filled

and stowed in OB bag

KITCHEN





STOVE

Optimus Crux Lite 'Solo' Stove.

Inside, this is my set up:

A - Lid / Cup.

B - Foldable, Spork.

C - US WWII Can opener.

D - Lighter.

E - The Crux Stove, that can be folded down then placed in its neoprene bag.

F - Bag of Tea Bags, 'Earl Grey'.

G - Gas canister that fits in pot.

H - Sponge with scourer. This is for cleaning but is also used as a sound dampened to stop things rattling around in the pot.

I - Cooking Pot.

J - Netting bag that keeps everything together.

I also carry an clear airtight plastic box containing the following:
  1. A few bags of Porridge.
  2. A few bags of muesli.
  3. Sachets of hot chocolate.
  4. Sachets of instant coffee, that include mild and sugar.
  5. Bag of caffeine sweets.

Kitchen stowed in bag



CLOTHES

A - Pants

B - Sockets, sweat wicking type.

C - Cycling shorts, for hiking.

D - Flat pumps, space saving for around camp.

E - Lamb's wool jumper, very warm and packs small.

F - Polyester shirt, light weight and fast drying when washed.

G - Technical base layer.

H - Cloths compression bag.

I - Dirty cloths compression bag.


WASH KIT

A - Sponge. This is the same type you get for cleaning dishes. It's very light, you can get the almost all the water out and dries quickly.

B - Soap bars, for shaving.

C - Shaving kit.

D - My 'pink' travel towel.

E - Small travel shower gels. I usually only carry one for both hair and body use.

F - Deodorant.

G - Nail stuff, not really used, but he mirrors good for shaving.

H - Folding tooth brush, and small tube of paste.

I - Travel bag.

J - 50+ Sun Screen.

K - Nivea Skin So Soft, used as a midge repellent and actually works.



OTHER
In the image above:
To the left is a zip bag containing my waterproof trousers and over-boots.
To the right is my waterproof maps of the UK and Ireland.
(Ignore the USB cable extension and lighter sockets below as they have already been stowed in the TOOL BAG, see above)







WHAT I WEAR


After the trip I had to ditch my riding suit and gloves, as mine disintegrated, so I bought a wax jacket and fully Goretex for my future travels.
In the above left image are:

  • Back Protector
  • Riding Boots
  • Helmet
  • Polyester Fleece
  • Polyester Shirt
  • Wind-proof Thermals
  • Kevlar lined and CE armoured jeans
  • Fully Goretex lined gloves
  • Waxed Jacket
In my jacket I usually carry:
  • Wallet
  • Change Purse
  • Driver's License, MOT and Insurance Certificate
  • Helmet Visor Cleaner spray and cloth
  • Small disk lock
  • Phone
  • Earphones
  • and Key when I'm not on the bike


BAGS SIDE POCKET

These or items I want easy access to.

A - High-vis vest.

B - High-vis and LED flashing arm bands.

C - Rear shock adjuster, forgot I had this!.

D - Small wind-up torch.

E - Resuscitation mask.

F - Cable ties, yes more!

G - Chain lube.

The travel bag, full of everything needed for a few weeks or more travel

Cargo netting is a very useful addition. This image also shown you how I carry a bottle of what that ready to hand


Using a single ratchet strap, secures everything to the bike





Garmin Satnav (Normal Car Satnav, this is a cheaper option than a dedicated motorcycle satnav, and does the same job)

I found his waterproof case on eBay, and after a few modifications, having to fill up the space behind the Satnav to push the screen up against the clear plastic front, so I could press the screen, it works great.

And finally the Ship skin. Used as a door mat to get in and
out of the tent, plus as extra seat padding for long trips.









No comments:

Post a Comment