Thursday 15 January 2015

DAY 7 - Thursday / Bush Caravan Park, Bushmills, County Antrim - Camac Valley Caravan Park, County Dublin / 195 miles


24/07/2014 / Thursday / Bush Caravan Park, Bushmills, County Antrim - Camac Valley Caravan Park, County Dublin / 195 miles

As a biker and I can appreciate and admire those, that choose to race their bikes in all classes from British Super Bikes to dirt track, but I’ve never been a fan to follow them. So naturally I'd not heard of the Northwest 200 until a few months ago, whilst lightly researching for this trip and I'd not heard of the races held at Armey, till just the day before via the garage owner at Ballycastle, who used to race there and asked me if I was travelling to see them whilst I was in the area. Today, following the coast from Ballycastle, there’s distinctly more bikes about, with the majority going the opposite way and I can only presume, that there travelling for the weekend race.

From Ballycastle, I take the A2 South-East, then shortly after leave, left onto a small road called ‘Torr Road’ following closer to the coastline. This was a beautiful twisty road, with ups and downs and some mesmerising views, down over the sides of the road, that drop into the sea. It was such a joy to ride on a lovely warm sunny day, I just wished there were no cars on it, to slow my progress, as I glided around the corners. There were a few touring bikes to wave at as, they passed me coming the other way. I stopped at a view point, with views out over Torr and a nice twisty bit of road, that leads up to it, to take some photos of the view.

Fig. 1 - View from viewpoint, over Torr.
At Cushendun, I re-joined the A2, which takes you to Whitehead, whilst also hugging the shoreline.

Between Cushendun and Carnlough, I somehow got into rhythm with a touring pedal cyclist, for about half an hour or so. As the light of the day was so clear, I found myself stopping to take photos of the spectacular rocky coastal formations, along the way and whilst I was about this, he would overtake me, then I would subsequently overtaking him, once I got back on the road. I'm sure I was miffing him off as the last time I saw him, he gave me such a sour look?

Fig. 2 - The A2, on a hot sunny day is a great road as it hugs the rocky coastline.
Once I'd finally got away from the cyclist, I then ended up, with a biker following me at the same pace, until I got tired and pulled over to let him and his pillion pass me by. At which point, we’d just ridden through a cute little fishing village called ‘Carnlough’ that caught my eye, so I decide to take a break and turned back, to have a nosy and take a few photos.

Fig. 3 - Carnlough little harbour.
I park up and as it was another hot day in Ireland, my eye caught sight of an ice cream shop selling homemade Ice cream. I dive in and buy the largest cone they have. Deciding on where I would go to enjoy my trophy sized treat, I wound my way up onto the quay, to sit a while and take a few photos, of the small harbour with its multi coloured fishing boats. Once the heat gets too much for me, I wondered back to the bike and bump into a group of bikers from Scotland, who have had the same idea to stop in for an Ice cream. Chatting to them, some have come from as far as Aberdeen and all had come to see the road race at Armoy. I chat to them for a bit before they move on their way, but I find the chat a little odd, as I think I’ve slowed my pace down a notch and their mind set, was all about getting somewhere, whilst I was happy to meander along. Even though I would be riding all day and they would be riding for only for only another hour!

I did consider camping, on the spit of land to the North of Whitehead, but once I arrived the place didn’t really inspire me, to stay for any length of time so, even though I felt drained by the heat, I thought sod it I might as well carry on to the campsite near Dublin, that I was to meet and stay at with my friends, who were due to arrive the Saturday morning. So I fuelled up and had a little doze in some shade at a small service station, then readied myself mentally to hit the monotonous motorway that link Belfast to Dublin. Belfast, you may find surprisingly, was not on my list of places to stop at, as nothing there interests me as during my research, the only attraction that stood out was the Titanic museum and that didn’t float my boat (no pun intended) either. However the Satnav route took me through the centre of Belfast, so at least I got to have a quick look.

Then on to the main roads, the A1, N1 then the E01/M1 motorway to Dublin and its tolls, forgetting that I'm now crossing over from pounds to euros, and being reminded when I try to use the wrong currency. I wish there were bigger signs saying welcome to Ireland or such, as you hardly notice when you cross over the border.

On the way South following the motorway, I spot signs for Newgrange, a large Neolithic site, and pop in just as the time hits 5:30, when the last tours are just finishing. I find out what time they re-open in the morning and arrange to pop back first thing and continue my way to the campsite, arriving about an hour later.

I check in, tent up and then find somewhere to get stuck into updating my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment